Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Elucidating Editorial Expose

Greetings fellow colleagues! DW here signing on for an exciting and titillating editorial analysis.

Today I'm going to walk through some of the finer (and not-so-finer) points of an editorial called Texas Tuition Troubles.  Maybe I'm just a young whippersnapper but I'm not sure I'm following the idea of the editorial.  My initial perusal of several (editorials) showed scant cohesion and little, if any, background and research.  I suppose that's the idea - right?  Anyway I'm going to walk us through this particular piece which I found, at a minimum, interesting.

To begin, I noticed this (and several other) editorials have no author named in a clear way.  This makes it a little difficult to establish any degree of credibility.  This is not to say that a title or credible academic accomplishments confer expertise on any given subject, but naming yourself might offer additional strength to an argument.

This editorial essentially argues the necessity for increased attention on how colleges are funded.  In particular, the author focuses on cost-prohibitive tuition, funding colleges that produce the most graduates, and a few ways we could achieve higher graduate rates.  He/She argues in a non-cogent manner and barely makes a point by the end of the article.  Background information is scant to nonexistent.

Despite all this, I enjoyed the article and I think the author has a reasonable point.  Tuition costs are high, but so is the cost of running a high-level educational facility.  The argument requires, in my opinion, a more thorough analysis of tuition costs and facility overhead; however, I agree with the author that money to institutions should be affected by graduation rates.

That about sums up this short editorial.

This is DW signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment